Sunday, January 5, 2014

2 Aaron Altmans in one week!!!!

He, of the sweating character in Broadcast News, one of James Brooks' gems. In one scene, he loses the anchor desk to the William Hurt character (Tom Grunick) and is coaching Hurt while giving the information to Holly Hunter (Jane Craig). He gets Altman's POV through his earpiece and almost repeats verbatim, what Aaron is telling Jane. He is so amazed by the process at one point he shakes his head and says' "I say it here, and it comes out there." Well I had two Altmans this week and I'm pretty damned tickled. In my New Years Day post (WHY), I mentioned Nancy Kerrigan getting kneecapped by the Tonya (Liz Cheney) Harding team prior to the 1994 Winter Olympics in  Lillehammer. Check out today's story in USA Today. My second Altman regards my halftime tweet of the Colts/Chiefs game yesterday. I reminded people of Frank Reich (A Maryland Terrapin, by the way) and the Bills storming back from a 32 point deficit on January 3rd, 1993 to beat the Houston Oilers. Well, Andrew Luck had a Reichy type day and though it was 28 points, the Colts fans went home happy.

Ask my wife. I do this shit all the time. I would imagine everybody does now and then. You should be proud. So in our new lexicon, "having an Altman" is a golden moment. Enjoy them. You go to the top of the heap in your world of friends-- if only for 5 minutes or so. It reminds me of the guy who, after hearing the Grateful Dead noodle before doing a song and predicted what it was and had a lifetime winning percentage of 97%. And I saw a lot of shows. But for one moment, it's fun to say something where people stop and say- 'that's pretty funny.'

Chicago weather is brutal today. Wind is howling, we have a one foot + snowfall on the ground and it's still snowing. Tomorrow, the high will be -15, wind chills possibly in the -40's. We've been the ground zero for global warming for a pretty long time, so a real extended winter event is a rarity.  I feel badly for Packer fans. That is going to be really challenging.

One of good friends was in Boston recently and was listening to Sox fan talk ab out having won three world series championships in the past 9 years. Dynasty, right? My friend reminded him, the Red Sox had indeed won, their 3rd World Series in 99 years. You can't wipe out 86 years of failure. Ya gotta add it in.

Respect Mother Nature if you're in the bad weather zone. And if you are, please check on the elderly neighbor that will appreciate it if you do. You may save a life. That's better than an Altman I do have a follower in Malaysia and one in Indonesia, so to them, well--- hello.

For today, goodbye. See you tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment