Tuesday, January 7, 2014

He ain't from Syracuse or Clemson

The previously beaten, red headed stepchild known as the Extension of Unemployment Benefits, was passed by a vote 60-37. I was shocked to see that Dan Coats of Indiana and Rob Portman of Ohio joined the Democrats in making this happen.  It is a short term fix, a 90 day extension and will obviously be a contentious issue when this has to be voted upon again. There was a snarky tweet by former Bushie Press Secretary, Ari Fleischer who said ( as most responsible?? republicans do-- that if it is not offset or paid for by reducing something else, they won't vote for it.) Well, don't worry. The 'nayers' names will be on every piece of Dem fund raising literature between now and then. I tweeted back to Ari that if you need to pay for this, I am happy to suggest cancellation of subsidies paid to Exxon Mobil, Conoco, BP, yadda yadda yadda. He's not gotten back to me yet. One of the repubs, Susan Collins was one of the 60, but with a caveat. She won't vote for this again, without a serious discussion of job training for the long term unemployed. It's a discussion worth having, even though to some, it's more important to talk about Benghazi or the "trainwreck" known as.........!

The other day, I got in AbbVie's shorts over their portrayal of a psoriasis troubled person who faced serious side effects if her doctor told her that Humira was "right" for her. I won't re-cap. Today, it's Astra Zeneca's turn. Have you seen the commercial for Crestor (Rosuvastatin)? Holy Shit! It reminds me of the famous "Boomer Sooner" guy in the 70's who had everything in his house as an homage to the University of Oklahoma, right down to the toilet seat. Well, this guy, whom I'll call orange boy, is running neck and neck with Boomer. I particularly love the scene where is cavorting through the house, dressed in orange, followed by his dog, dressed in orange and the reactions of his wife and son, sitting on the sofa, NOT dressed in orange and the look on their faces clearly say, 'yeah but he's OUR asshole." He's on the scale, pumping his fists and hollering YES! because he's reducing his cholesterol. SO now we cut to the disclaimers of taking Statins to begin with. They may cause liver disease, changes in mood, peculiar dreams and organ failure. Again, I'm picturing Lewis Black explaining that "if your skin or eyes turn yellow, you're fuuuuuuucked!!!!! These possible side effects are being quietly spoken of as he sits on his orange bedspread, laying on his belly with his feet, adorned in orange Jack Taylor Converse sneakers, crossed and kinda diddling in the air. Creepier still, he bears a uncomfortable resemblance, somewhere between Jeff Garlin and the current governor of New Jersey and heir apparent to the White House in 2016. Do you have an orange Rav-4 in your driveway with a canvas Crestor logo on your externally mounted spare tire? And I'm still seeing Michael Bolton in Honda commercials.

Hey BP ( and I don't mean British Petroleum), your heroes gave you the deal of a lifetime while enacting Medicare Part D in August of 2003. By the way, back then, it passed in a vote of 216-215. Baseball isn't the only game of inches. By the way, Republicans held majorities in both the house and the Senate at the time of this vote. Gotta do your homework.

I hope that Colorado will change their state song to honor today's humstle. Today, we honor not a song, but an entire album; one I am proud to own and is part of ninety record albums hung on my guest room wall. If I ever gain the expertise to photograph it, I'll post it. So today we pay tribute to Have a Marijuana, by David Peel and The Lower East Side.

Still very cold and uncomfortable. To every man or woman who works out of doors in any walk of life. I thank you and wish you well.

And thank you Randy for RT my written madness to your friends and followers. I am grateful.

See you tomorrow. Stay warm

*Big Pharma


No comments:

Post a Comment