Friday, January 10, 2014

How about----

No politics today. Hooray!

I have a friend who sent me a disc with 12 versions of Bill Withers' Ain't No Sunshine. 
Might I suggest a couple of listens? Even though everybody knows the Marvin Gaye version of What's Goin' On,  try Quincy Jones' version from Smackwater Jack. A great record- lots of interesting things on it, including the Theme song from Ironside, 

Two Allman Brothers Band news items. First, is that tickets are on sale for the annual March Madness shows at the Beacon, in NYC. Second, is that both Warren Haynes and Derek Trucks have announced that 2014 is their last year to tour with ABB. I'm not surprised but they have brought a tremendous energy to the whole Allmans legacy for quite a long time. Tour details are sketchy at the moment but I suspect they'll fill in. Lot of great guitar players who can step right in. The farm system has been well developed. Hell, they're all major leaguers.

Let me roll you a --- a what? A playlist out of my mind if I were driving around today. I'd roll you something else but you don't need my help.

Bob Wills- Twin Guitar Special
Miles Davis- Freddie Freeloader
Big Joe Turner- Big Legs
Bob Dylan- Black Diamond Bay
Danny O'Keefe- Portrait in Black Velvet
Herbie Mann- Push Push (w/Duane Allman) {Whoa Nelly!}
Frank Sinatra- Luck Be A Lady Tonight
The Nice- Country Pie
Counting Crows- Mr Jones
Billy Paul- Me and MRS. Jones
Temptations- Ball Of Confusion
Stuff - My Sweetness
Steely Dan- Bad Sneakers
Julie London- Dark

Hum, Whistle or do both.
Caution. You are now leaving the No Chris Christie zone.

Have a wonderful weekend. Enjoy football because it really HAS been entertaining.



 



No comments:

Post a Comment