Tuesday, January 21, 2014

No control

We have seen the quote. Especially, when it's told by a sports figure whose name is being shopped around in a trade. But its specifics pertain to many things that confuse us and piss us off. Because there are few things that make us more uncomfortable than not having control.

I understand that this is a business. I can only control what I do on the field (court, ice etc.) Otherwise, I have no control over the business aspect of it.

Powerful  corporate interests are pushing the U.S. Congress to pass the Fast Track portion of the TPP or Trans Pacific Partnership. As with many international agreements we sign, it appears to benefit everybody but US as citizens. After all, why should we pay attention to it? It appears that implementation of this bill will not spur productivity, create more good paying jobs in this country or benefit workers in any tangible way. I believe the North American Free Trade Agreement in the 90's (NAFTA) was promised to be such a boon but clearly, has not met that expectation.

So, when we talk about job creation, job enhancement, increased revenues and strategic partnerships, trust  your gut: where there's a smell, there's bullshit.

New Jersey Governor, Chris Christie's inauguration is going to be covered by the cable news networks, who have chosen sides and are invested in droning on and on about both the GWB story and now, the allegations by Dawn Zimmer, mayor of Hoboken, that she was pressured by two Christie administration officials to approve a commercial project in order to receive promised relief funds to abate the damage done to Hoboken by Hurricane Sandy. What a continuing bore! I think I'm washing my hair at the time of the inauguration so unfortunately, will miss it.

Couldn't sleep last night and found myself practicing the line from The Godfather,  "Keep your friends close and your enemies closer."  Because I love politics, (but I don't really know why), I find it essential to keep my enemies closer. So I found myself watching portions of O'Reilly, The Independents and Hannity. On occasion, when I am truly masochistic, I also watch The Five. That's where my in laws get all their news, so it's important to know what Rush Limbaugh is thinking. The Independents is an unbelievable show in terms of content. 

As a younger man, I had a terrible crush on Martha Quinn when she was hosting her MTV show. I also watched Kennedy (Lisa Kennedy Montgomery). She also had a hip show that catered to the Music TV generation. I think Kennedy had Martha rubbed out or something- not that I watch MTV as much as I used to, but when I see the antics of Kennedy and her panel and the way they cover "news" in their "fair and balanced way", I get a little sick. I was always much more interested in Martha telling me how much damage Rod Stewart did to his hotel room, but I digress. I can only take these people in very short doses. Just let me be the head of the FTC for a short time. I will clean up Dodge. By the way, a note to Kimberly Guilfoyle and Kennedy, the Obamas paid for Michelle's birthday bash out of their own pockets. Just like Nancy Reagan did when she spent $210,000 dollars for a party for 220 people in the 1980's. Adjusted for inflation, the cost would be over $400,000.00 today. OH, wait, she didn't pay for it? NO? The taxpayers did? OOPS.

Richard Sherman is a lion and therefore, a lion has no use for the opinions of lambs. I'm paraphrasing.  

Just add the Cubs' selection of Clark, the new mascot and you can see why it's always the cherry that weighs down the cake. 

And what were we talking about today??? CONTROL???

No comments:

Post a Comment