Tuesday, December 17, 2013

Mullies and Gimmees

Today, I posted a title but didn't write anything that pertained to it. I'm old and us "olds" can walk from one room to another and completely forget why we're there. Maybe, not that bad.

Anyway a Mullie or a Mully is short for Mulligan. It's a golf metaphor, and it pertains to a do over or a second chance. I think of the scene in Goodfellas after Henry and Tommy have torched the joint because they've milked it for everything it had and now they had to burn it for the insurance money.
So the erstwhile Henry Hill is explaining why it probably wasn't such a good idea to have let "Paulie" in on the restaurant, because no matter what else happened, the boss got his "tribute". He had to get paid for anything the bar generated. You probably remember the scene.

So while the bar burns, Henry is explaining the reality---such as "Oh you had a Fire?? F**k you pay me!"
So I got to wondering in this joyous time of year whether a mulligan is a metaphor for being "born again."? We hear about redemption and second chances and I think of politicians whose names were found in the pages of a "madame's" clientele list. Or the guy who tweets his junk to strangers. Or the people who pass budget deals and leave out the welfare of very important people- real people. Will their time come when they ask for a mully? Don't they deserve it?

Oh, you hit a shitty drive and you want a mully, go ahead. It's OK.
Oh you have a 6 foot putt? You can have a Gimmee. Just remember I gave you one. I may need you to give me one someday.
Oh, you embezzled from the office petty cash, used the dough to buy crack and made a shambles of your life? Just ask God for forgiveness and you will become whole again. But go to rehab and write a book.

Do the families of the kids and teachers gunned down in Newtown get a mully? Or the families of all gunshot victims for that matter??

So the humstle that seems appropriate is John Wesley Work's and the Fisk Jubilee Singers  Wade in the Water. We all need to be forgiven for our actions-- by others but mostly, by ourselves. I just struggle with the whole thing from time to time. It's such a good time of the year. But it's also a time for contemplation and figuring out being kind and forgiving as well.

I usually post once a day, but whenever I know I got something either wrong or incomplete, I like to go back and finish if I can. OFYAH: Scorpio. It's in my nature

No writer will always write everything you like. You wouldn't want me to, would you? That'd be boring. I think of the question that was once asked of a person: Are you Ambivalent or Stupid? Answer: I don't know and I don't care. But I think we all do care.
 But I'm still not going to sit on Santa's lap. Uh unnnh.


No comments:

Post a Comment