Friday, November 29, 2013

Black Friday (The Steely Dan Version)

I live 8 miles from a mall, so as I went out this morning, it was very quiet. There was a creepy moment in my local Starbucks where as I read the morning papers. yep, I still do that, I was being stared at by a  man I didn't recognize. The cool, detached way he was masticating his danish only heightened the drama. But I finished the Op Ed pages and shot him a glance as I left. The next stop was at the post office to get my mail and there was a guy sitting in his Mercedes 600, staring at me. I figured home would be a good destination so now my monitor will write that I'm staring at it. All's fair.

I think creating a news event whereby thousands of people sleep outside a store, waiting for it to open-- and then when it does, recreating the running of the bulls in Pamplona, is really lame. I understand that "the business of business is business," but seriously, do you want to get stabbed in the parking lot of a Wal Mart because somebody wants that fucking toaster worse than you? I must be missing something. When it snows, the Weather Channel sends Jim Cantore or Mike Seidel to stand in the street talking to you as it snows. ANd today CNBC and your local news channels have dispatched reporters to malls all across the country to ask people what they're going to buy.

 Pope Francis- it's two days since your exhortation about economic inequality and you're still my hero. When will we get it?

So here starts the month that will point out the selfless nature of ordinary citizens and the acts of kindness they routinely do for a majority of the other 330 days of the year. And it will seem like we really don't hear that much of it for the other eleven months. Some people are dicks. But the vast majority are wonderful. I still read newspapers because they have this curious little thing called a journalistic ethic that requires the reporter to fact check what he's about to write.

We brined the turkey yesterday and it really made a difference. Apparently the dogs thought so as well, because although we put the bird way back on the counter against a wall, they got it. I could only think about the dog scene in A Christmas Story.

Whenever it's on, I watch Mississippi Burning. Just thought I'd mention that.

Ronan Farrow? Just go on TV and say something that riles up all the people who frequent Tucker Carlson's mosh pit. I won't mention the name, because I'd be helping him make more money. Even though the internet is a wonderful thing, and everybody's entitled to their opinion-------------- anyway. Nice going. I know you graduated college at 15, but your intelligence doesn't preclude you from Comiendo Los Zapatos de chocolate.

Another STFU award. Numerous utterances the past two weeks have you moving up the charts with a bullet-- Charles Krauthammer. Please get back on your meds.

RIP- Arik Einstein

Congrats to the Saskatchewan Roughriders- winning the 101st Grey Cup.

Can Aaron Rodgers be that good?

With an average of 320 million hits per day, did it not occur to HHS to get some Google guys to help build the website for the Affordable Care Act?

124 days til "Opening Day".

Woody Johnson? According to the Atlantic's Allen Barra, your table is NOT ready. Interesting read on why the Jets have stunk for so long. Don't worry, Woody, Willard Romney will call you and you two can commiserate.

 I don't think the State Department lists Lyon or Marseille as places not to visit because of criminal behavior. I could be wrong.

Enjoy your day. Please think about rewarding your local merchants tomorrow as Small Business Saturday will be in effect.

Whistle and Hum for today:
Jackson Browne- Before the Deluge







No comments:

Post a Comment