Friday, December 13, 2013

12-12-13

Ah, North Carolina. I am walking on our property of 27 acres in McDowell County. We're here to attend Warren Haynes' yearly event, Christmas Jam. Warren is the founder of many bands, not the least of which is Government Mule. He's been the driving force behind this event and this is the 25th anniversary  He knows some musicians who come and play for the good that this event does; all the proceeds go to the Western Carolina Habitat For Humanity. The vibe and all that goes with it is amazing and it's among many reasons that I love this diverse state and hope to live down here permanently some day. That day is still a ways off but if you don't make a plan, the dream has no chance of coming true. The shows are in Asheville, which is sometimes affectionately called the Paris Of The South. It's one of my favorite places- funky, freaky and wonderful. North Carolina has been undergoing a little political upheaval since 2010. We bought the property about then but had no idea what might transpire politically. It matters but at the same time it is tempered by my love of this area. 

You might notice I have opinions in my posts. Why would you bother to follow my blogs if I didn't? I've been coming to NC for nearly 40 years and always knew, somehow I might end up here. So even though local people have taken the state in a very different socio-political direction, I am a visitor here and I may comment from time to time on what I think about that. Many aspects that upset people are that folks they consider outsiders come in and try to make policy. I will be civil, but I too will live here some day, pay taxes here and will care about what goes on here. There is a reasonable way to do that. I will figure out a way to do so in a positive manner. 

For now I am still a tourist guide, extolling the many virtues of this state. I am happy to be here this weekend to participate in a charitable event that does much good for the less fortunate. I'll be writing about the lineup of players next week. Last night was pre-jam event at a local club and if that was any indication of what's to come, I'll hope to have great stories to tell.

For now, I will take leave because I'm on a little vacation but the writing goes on. Again , I thank you for looking in on this thing and if you like what you read, tell your friends. I hope to have many followers. 

Peace and have a happy, safe weekend. 

No comments:

Post a Comment