Tuesday, October 14, 2014

Overs

I'm turning 65 in two weeks. This seems to me to be a  remarkable achievement since many of my era never thought they'd live until 30. One of our heroes ( who is past 70) admonished that we should "never trust anyone over 30". This is the same guy who said "he not busy being born, is busy dying" Gaining this age is not remarkable at all. My grandfather was a cardiac surgeon who died of a heart attack at 59. Man he could operate! And he could eat all the fatty foods that doomed him as well. Irony there.

Somebody else once said, "reality- what a concept." Maybe civility has replaced reality for the thing that we somehow expect- wait-- I probably shouldn't use that word. Maybe 'hope for' is a better choice. I do think that we are are over fed, over served, over medicated, over info'ed and over cautious and over scared. Many of us believe that many of us are over paid and under qualified.Much of the result of these conditions stem from a lack of self esteem.

So, today's humstle is one of my all time favorite songs: Les McCann's Compared to What.  The absolute soaring nature of this song is fantastic in and of itself, but the words??? You tell me. It's worth looking up. So many references that are still relevant.

So, be civil today. And tomorrow.  It's not something that is second nature anymore. Old guys like me seem to see this more clearly than others. So the whole overs thing is really perplexing. Alas, it's part of having lived past the golden age you thought you'd never see and all the perspectives and experiences that started to fill up your personal suitcases like the pack rat shit you can't believe is in your attic or garage.

What a concept! 

No comments:

Post a Comment