Thursday, November 14, 2013

There is Ahab and he beckons

Oops department: In my 11/7 post I mentioned that Tom Ricketts was possibly collaborating with Mel Gibson for an upcoming project. I meant Tom's father Joe. When it comes to political views that rainmakers get involved in it's important to get it right. Sorry Tom. No Mel Gibson moment for you. However, you are doing a bang up job in running the Chicago Cubs. What did the great sage say with the Cubbies in mind? "Anybody can have a bad century now and then." Compared to your dad though-- Well, that's the Peter Principle in its distilled greatness.

How often can John McCain go off his meds?

I'm a big fan of Ezra Klein, a reporter for the Washington Post and an MSNBC contributor. I read his Wonkblog as often as I can. Today he has a list of things the Congress can do to alleviate a revenue shortfall of an additional $6.4 Trillion dollars between 2014 and 2023. His headline is 103 things that could reduce the deficit. In his post of today, he lists about 20 things. It's interesting reading. Does the number $2.7 trillion interest you. And then there are 83 more. What do THEY add up to?

Darrell Issa? Your table is NOT ready.

When you think of great hitters, does the name Edward Delahanty ever come to mind? As Casey Stengal once said, "you could look it up."

I was thinking about:
Mick Ronson
Carol Lynley
"Champagne" Tony Lema
Bob "big bear" Hite
Emile Griffith
"Pigpen"
Gig Young
David Halberstrom
Learned Hand
Were you?

How much does Robbie Cano have to pay Jay Z if he gets 300 Million?

Tell me who really benefits from Quantitative Easing? It ain't me.

Speaking of Casey Stengel (I was you know). One of his best went like this: I've got 25 guys. My job is to keep the 13 who hate me away from the 12 that aren't sure."

Dandelion Greens may be good for my liver. But they taste like shit.

Who is Harry Coover and what did he do? (answer tomorrow)

I probably shouldn't go here, but yes Willard, in your book, No Apology, as it went from hard to soft cover, your editors did expunge the phrase "and a model for health care nationally so everyone can get covered." It's a shame they didn't ask you if they could do that.

HumJobs for today: Jimmy Smith, Wes Montgomery and the Oliver Nelson Orchestra- Down By the Riverside. Bonnie Raitt- Guilty. Randy Newman (soundtrack from The Natural)- The Mind is A Strange Thing.  Son House-John The Revelator.  Frank Sinatra- Luck be a Lady Tonight.

"Obamacare is less popular than Chlamydia"  Steve Stockman? Your table also is not ready.

Bed pooping department:
Tom Cruise
Rush Limbaugh
Barack Obama (sorry POTUS)
Rob Ford- though you have gotten me through some rough patches.

RIP: Mavis Batey

Thank you for answering the door and letting me into your brains today. Don't be a dick and tell someone you love them. See you tomorrow. Go Blackhawks. Big one tonight!!













No comments:

Post a Comment